Single Mother Benefits
The single mother benefit is paid by the Ministry of Finance according to the Cabinet Decision no. 66032 from 2007, to unmarried women who have recently gave birth and are not entitled to maternity grant.
In order to qualify for single mother benefit the claimant must:
- be an unmarried mother, citizen of the Republic of Cyprus or of another European state;
- have been living in the Republic of Cyprus for at least 12 consecutive months.
The single mother benefit is a lump sum payment equal to the corresponding maternity grant provided by the Social Insurance Services Department. The single mother benefit amount for 2013 was € 544.08 (for births after 7.1.2013). This amount is adjusted every year according to the changes in wages.
Single mothers interested in getting this allowance must fill in the single mother benefit form and submit it to the relevant body together with the following documents:
- a copy of their identity card;
- a copy of their Alien Card (yellow slip), residence permit or immigration permits from the Civil Registry Population and Migration, in case the applicant is a citizen of another European state;
- the certificate for permanent residence in Cyprus;
- the birth certificate of her child / children;
- a proof that the child was born outside marriage;
- the rejection letter for maternity grant from the Social Security Services Department (if available);
- a statement of the International Bank Account Number (IBAN) signed and stamped by the applicant’s bank with the full details of the bank account where the transfer will be made.
The application must be submitted within one year from the date of birth to any of the following institutions:
- Grants and Benefits Service of the Ministry of Finance, Tefkrou 6 Str., Nicosia, tel 22804000, 22803009.22803002
- The Ministry of Finance Headquarters, tel 22 601 623
- Citizen Service Centres (CSC):
- Nicosia: Angle Kyriakos Matsis & Katsonis Saints Confessors, tel 22446686,
- Limassol: Spyros Araouzou 21 tel 25829129,
- Famagusta: Freedom 83 Derynia, tel 23300300,
- Larnaca Ave Afxentiou 27 tel 24815555,
- Paphos: Eleftherios Venizelos 62 tel 26822400,
- Polis: Evagoras Pallikarides 1, tel: 26821888,
- Pelendri: Archbishop Makarios III 70, tel 25813400.
- Or by post to the Treasury Chief Executive of the Grants and Benefits Service of the Ministry of Finance at 1489 Nicosia.
Single mothers who apply for single mother benefit are not entitled to the corresponding maternity grant provided by the Department of Social Insurance.